Thursday, March 23, 2006

Summer Smells



I was driving down the highway with my wife the other day when we chanced upon a certain odor about which my wife commented: "Eka, catinga de gambar!" (Ew, skunk stink!). I had to pause a minute, however, before affirming agreement. After a long winter, the smell of skunk immediately reminded me of summer. I couldn't, therefore, indicate that I found the smell particularly disagreeable at all. Which got me thinking; there are quite a few other offensive aromas that I really don't mind. Rotting brine shrimp, for example, is very nostalgic to me. It reminds me of warm summer breezes off the great salt lake. What malodorous emanations do you find less than objectionable?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know where you are coming from with the skunk smell thing. They smell so fucking bad. However, there is a kind of cigarette, I don't know which kind, but it reminds me of when I was young at amusement parks because people must have smoked them all the time there.